Work at Evolve
At Evolve, we’re committed to not sucking. If you’re someone who’s also interested in not sucking, and who has hobbies like… oh, playing video games, reading about the games industry, promoting video games, trying to understand why games still cost $60, etc., you might be interested in working for us!
Why work at Evolve?
Just because! Oh fine, you need more real reasons. How about…
- Work from anywhere—home, the beach or even an alley. If your alley has internet.
- Flexible work hours and a 35-hour work week. Focus on the “life” part of “work-life balance.”
- Health and dental benefits.
- Be part of an agency with an exceptional reputation, aiming to break free from traditional PR in creative and exciting ways.
- Liberal vacation time!
- Work on a wide range of games, from AAA blockbusters to underdog indies.
- Educational allowance so you can get better at… well, whatever you’re doing.
- Enjoy working on a small team, wearing various hats. No funny hats, though. Oh, who am I kidding? Wear whatever hat you want, you weirdo.
- Pants optional.
- We <3 diversity.
Terminals.io – Software Developer
We’re looking for a contract, part-time or full-time software developer to help us forge the future of Terminals.io. This could be a contract position for someone outside Canada, or full employment for a developer in Canada. You’ll be developing new features for our industry-leading media and influencer-engagement platform, squashing bugs like… bugs… and helping us set new standards for PR tools in the gaming industry.
Responsibilities & Expectations
- Development: You’re building new ways for media and influencers to discover, play, and stay up-to-date on games, with clean, efficient code and elegant solutions.
- Server upkeep: Make sure the site doesn’t crash a bunch, and if it does, help it back to its feet!
- Setting direction: You’re not just doing whatever you’re told, but are actively identifying potential new site features and workflows/processes, while working with our team to set direction for the future.
- UX and UI: Keep usability and ease-of-access in mind as you develop new features, demonstrating simplicity wherever possible.
- Problem solving and innovation: Find new ways to approach old problems, think outside the box, challenge the status quo, push the limits, and other motivational phrases!
- Reporting to stakeholders: Keep management and staff updated on development progress and priorities, downtimes, and more.
Experience & Skills
Nobody’s perfect, but the ideal candidate demonstrates expertise with the following tools and platforms, as well as relevant traits:
- PHP 7+
- Strong knowledge of Vue 2
- Actively use Git
- Basic MySQL knowledge
- Strong knowledge of Laravel
- Familiarity with various APIs, such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Reliable, able to work independently and within a team
- A legal resident of Canada (for full employment)
- Well organized
- Not a jerk
- Able to work during North American (Pacific time) business day
Nice to Have
While we need someone who embodies the traits and skills above, it’s always nice to have a few tricks up your sleeve. Some areas of expertise we’d love to see among applicants include:
- A basic understanding of Nginx, and configuring redundancies
- Can handle a Debian server or two
- Experience building highly available web applications
- Experience with automated testing processes
- Google Cloud Platform experience
- Broad technical knowledge – we really like people who can tie together technologies to solve really big problems
- Experience developing highly responsive mobile apps
Ready to Apply?
Send your resume, cover letter, salary expectations, and any relevant work samples—apps you’ve developed, code samples—to [email protected], citing the Terminals.io Software Developer position.
Tips For Applying
- Read the job description fully, and ensure you’re qualified. Sure, it’s nice to shoot for the stars, but if you have none of the qualifications, you may want to hold off on applying.
- We value creativity, so don’t feel like you need to come across as a corporate robot when applying.
- Make sure you’ve actually submitted the things that are required to apply!
- Sharing links to your relevant social media accounts is really helpful; saves us having to dig for them!
- We focus our hiring on Canadian residents, but if you’re exceptionally qualified, we’re happy to consider non-Canadian applicants on a contract basis. Just know that you wouldn’t be eligible for the same health/dental benefits as our staff in Canada. Taxes and logistics and all.